Thursday, August 15, 2013

2 weeks in Copenhagen

 Today marks two weeks in Copenhagen and unfortunately I have left my camera behind on most occasions but fortunately there are still a few photos to accompany this post.

The Story So Far:
From Amsterdam I took a 15hr overnight train that went via Germany to Copenhagen. Whilst it wasn't that bad I certainly wouldn't recommend it. After Amsterdam and the train my first day was spent unpacking and catching up on sleep. On day two I started Danish course and spent the afternoon in the kings garden with the other exchange students. Friday night I went out and didn't get home until 6am (mainly because we couldn't remember which direction the train home went in). On Saturday I went bike shopping and on Sunday we went to a free concert in Christiania, a hippy commune also known as mini Amsterdam. Unfortunately you are not allowed to take photos there (fun fact you're also not allowed to run because it will cause a panic).
Last week I went to the Studenterhuset (Copenhagen's version of unibar), visited some cute cafes, took a walking tour focusing on medieval Copenhagen (where the photos were taken), did some window shopping in chic Scandinavian fashion stores, attended a fashion week street party and found my way to Ikea.
This week, so far, I've been to a couple more cafes, had the best baked good of my life and casually attended a party on the Copenhagen metro. Tomorrow I'm going to watch Django Unchained for free in a park and maybe make my way to the Little Mermaid. As for this weekend, that's yet to be decided but there is a never ending list of free things on this month.
So after two weeks I can say that:
  • I have a basic understanding of basic Danish phrases
  • I can ride my bike without fearing the Danish cyclists
  • I can ride into the city centre without having to check a map (mostly)
  • I am (nearly) used to the currency
  • I can cook couscous without a microwave
  • I can unlock my apartment first go

Next post: Where I'm living and I promise to take more photos xx

No comments:

Post a Comment